Home News Over 10 million Ukrainians without electricity after Russian strikes, kyiv says

Over 10 million Ukrainians without electricity after Russian strikes, kyiv says

by admin

More than 10 million Ukrainians were without electricity this Friday, November 18, according to the country’s president, the day after new Russian strikes in several cities, including kyiv, which occurred during the first snowfall, when the mercury could drop to to -10°C in the next few days.

These repetitive bombings have targeted Ukraine’s energy infrastructure since October, regularly depriving millions of inhabitants of power and water. “At present, more than 10 million Ukrainians are without electricity”especially in the kyiv region, said Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday evening, during his daily televised address.

The sequel after the ad

The Ukrainian president, whose country will enter its tenth month of war on November 24, denounced “another Russian terrorist attack”. “Civilian sites are the main target. Russia is waging war on electricity and heat for people by blowing up power plants and other energy facilities”he said.

In Odessa, living despite the war

The Kremlin countered on Thursday that the suffering of civilians in Ukraine was attributable to kyiv’s refusal to negotiate. “This is the consequence of the Ukrainian side’s unwillingness to settle the problem, to start negotiations, of its refusal to seek common ground”said Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for the Kremlin.

Massive strikes had already been carried out on Tuesday, occurring after a new humiliating retreat by Russian forces who abandoned, under pressure from a Ukrainian counter-offensive on November 11, the north of the Kherson region (South) of which Moscow nevertheless claims the ‘annexation.

In the kyiv region, two cruise missiles and Iranian-made “Shahed” suicide drones were shot down by the Ukrainian defense. An AFP journalist saw one of these missiles fly over a residential area in the east of the capital. In Dnipro (Centre-East), fourteen people including a 15-year-old girl were injured in a bombing, said regional governor Valentin Reznitchenko.

The sequel after the ad

“In Survival Mode”

The first snowfall came on Thursday. Kyiv Oblast Governor Oleksiy Kuleba warned on Wednesday that the coming week would be ” hard “with temperatures that can drop “down to -10°C”.

The national electricity operator Ukrenergo announced the extension of power cuts due to the“worsening of the situation”. “Due to a sudden cooling, the electricity consumption has increased”which “further complicated the already difficult situation in the electrical system”leading to “wider restrictions” energy consumption across the country, Ukrenergo said.

For its part, the private Ukrainian operator DTEK mentioned “unprecedented destruction” experienced by the energy system. “We are now living in survival mode, this is the energy front”said the head of the Energy Research Center, Oleksandr Kharchenko.

After the liberation of Kherson, “the war continues” for Ukraine

In addition, after the withdrawal of Russian forces from Kherson, sinister discoveries show the unprecedented scale of cases of torture in the city during the eight months of Russian occupation, denounced a senior Ukrainian official.

The sequel after the ad

” I have not seen it yet “ torture “on such a scale”, “after visiting all the torture chambers in various regions of Ukraine”said Thursday Dmytro Loubynets, responsible for human rights in Parliament. “The scale of the phenomenon is horrifying. » Of the “dozens of people” were “electrocuted, beaten with metal pipes. Their bones were broken” and “the Russians filmed all this”he accused.

In the streets of Kherson, euphoria sometimes gave way to frustration on Thursday, with crushes during the distribution of basic necessities.

Rain of Russian missiles

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken assured Thursday that Russia was carrying the “ultimate liability” for the deadly fall of a missile in Poland, which killed two people on Tuesday, while an investigation must determine where it was fired from.

Russia has denied having fired this missile, Poland itself judging ” highly probable “ whether it is a Ukrainian anti-aircraft projectile and evoking “unfortunate accident”.

The sequel after the ad

Moscow newspaper: “We have no more traffic jams… and no more doctors! »

Ukrainian experts arrived in Poland on Thursday to participate in the investigation, said the head of Ukrainian diplomacy, Dmytro Kouleba, on Twitter. “We hope they will quickly access the site” of the incident, “in cooperation with Polish law enforcement agencies”.

On the diplomatic and economic level, the agreement allowing Ukrainian grain exports from Ukrainian ports has been renewed for the four winter months, alleviating concerns about a possible global food crisis.

You may also like

Leave a Comment