Home News Disavowed by his own poll, Elon Musk announces that he will leave the head of Twitter

Disavowed by his own poll, Elon Musk announces that he will leave the head of Twitter

by admin

After a long moment of silence and then blowing hot and cold on the follow-up he intended to give to the poll he himself had initiated and which disavowed him, Elon Musk finally announced on Tuesday that he was withdrawing from the head of Twitter as soon as he has “found someone crazy enough” to succeed him.

Journalists banned from Twitter, new regulations… umpteenth crazy week for Elon Musk

In a post on the social network in response to this survey, he announced his future departure, saying that he would focus on the “software and server teams”.

The sequel after the ad

After several weeks of tension and procrastination regarding the future of the social network since its takeover for 44 billion euros, Elon Musk asked Twitter users on Monday whether or not he should leave the head of the platform.

A practice that is not unusual for the new owner, who has already used it several times, in particular concerning the reactivation of the account of the former American president, Donald Trump, as well as other suspended users. Each time the billionaire pledged to respect the result of the survey he initiated, most often with results that went in the direction he was considering.

17 million voters

But this time, 57% of the approximately 17 million platform users who voted said they were in favor of his departure.

Back on Monday at the end of the day in the United States, from Doha where he had attended the final of the Football World Cup on Sunday, Elon Musk had initially remained silent, before reacting to tweets suggesting that the result of the survey was the result of a machination then of an army of bots having distorted the result.

The sequel after the ad

Elon Musk, a sink and Twitter: an enigmatic video

At the beginning of the day on Tuesday, the boss of Twitter had retweeted the result of an opinion poll carried out by the HarrisX institute, with its own sample of users of the platform, and which gave 61% of those questioned in favor. of his retention as Chief Executive Officer. “Interesting, this seems to suggest that we do have a slight bot problem on Twitter” The owner of the platform then reacted in response to the institute’s tweet presenting the results, seeming to plan to remain at the head of the social network.

He also said that any new polls would be restricted to paying Twitter users.

Twitter close to bankruptcy?

And when several American media have assured that he had actually started looking for a replacement even before the launch of his survey, citing anonymous sources, the billionaire had reacted with a simple mocking emoji via his platform.

Still, these rumors along with the poll result appeared to be approved at first by investors, Tesla’s stock was even on the rise, as criticism grew louder over Elon Musk’s attention to towards Twitter since its takeover, to the detriment of the automaker.

The sequel after the ad

Conversely, the signs of refusal to leave the head of the social network had been badly received: the course of Tesla ended Tuesday’s session down more than 8%, before the announcement of a future departure. In three months, the title of the manufacturer has lost nearly 55% of its value on Wall Street, and more than 33% since the takeover of Twitter. In post-closing trading on Wall Street, the stock rose 0.92% to 139.07 dollars.

Elon Musk, vanishing point of today’s capitalism

And the social network is not doing much better: in eight weeks the company has seen a certain number of advertisers withdraw in the face of the risk represented for brands by the billionaire’s desire to reduce content moderation there. The group would even “on the fast track to bankruptcy”had assured Elon Musk in a message.

Since the takeover at the end of October, the boss of Tesla and SpaceX has sparked numerous controversies by laying off half of Twitter’s workforce, reinstating suspended accounts, suspending those of journalists and seeking to launch a new paid subscription.

Last week, Elon Musk deleted and then restored the accounts of several American journalists from CNN, the New York Times and the Washington Post in particular, causing the European Union and the UN to react.

The sequel after the ad

On Sunday, it was the new rules, providing that it was now impossible to publish a link to a competing network, such as Facebook, Instagram or Mastodon, which aroused the misunderstanding of users, including Jack Dorsey, the co-founder and former boss of Twitter .

After the suspension of certain accounts under this new rule, including that of investor Paul Graham, Elon Musk qualified his decision, limiting the suspension to accounts whose ” the principal objective” “ is the promotion of competitors.

You may also like

Leave a Comment